If you are getting the following error:
"named has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "named is not running"). "
This is a mildly common problem.
First off, try to manually restart bind, if successful the problem is solved, if not continue with the steps listed below.
1. Check to see if your /etc/named.conf file exsists.
2. If so try to manually restart bind - refer to above.
3. Execute the following command: /usr/sbin/named -u named -c /etc/named.conf
4. Verify if bind is running or not, if not continue with step 5.
5. Restore named.conf from named.conf.backup
6. Verify that all DNS entries are correct.